Stanly County Schools
Dr. Jeffery R. James, Superintendent
March 15, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians,
By now you may have heard that schools will be closed for two weeks as a precautionary measure to reduce the spreading of the Coronavirus. Below are specific actions we will be implementing:
- Monday, March 16 - Friday, March 20: Teacher Workdays (sheltered professional days) with no school for students. All staff will report to work to finalize Home Learning Plans which may include a packet of work or digital learning assignments. Teachers will use the remaining days for professional development and planning. Please have your child check Canvas, Google Classroom, website, and/or email for specific instructions.
- Wednesday, March 18 - Friday, March 20: Parents/Guardians are invited to pick up student work, if applicable, from the school between the hours of 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM. Devices will be available at this time. There will NOT be an opportunity to pick anything up from the school after 3:00 PM on Friday. Should there be any needed items (glasses/medication) that a student left in their classroom/school, you may pick these up at this time.
- Monday, March 16 and Tuesday, March 17: School will be closed. No students or parents are to come to the schools.
- All sports fields will be closed. This includes after normal school hours and weekends. This will allow the District to thoroughly cleanse and disinfect the campus.
- The week of March 23-27 - “Work from Home” plan will be followed.
As a district, we have been working to create “Work from Home” learning plans for continuity of instruction during this school closure. The purpose of creating these plans is to provide a continuity of learning in content areas while the schools are closed. In grades 6-8, work will be communicated for Core Content areas, including English/Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, and Science. High schools will communicate assignments for students’ 4 blocks of instruction.
- If your child receives special education services you will be contacted to reschedule any IEPs scheduled during the closure or provide the team an alternative method to “meet”.
- All teachers will be available to answer your emails during school closure. They are eager to make every effort to stay in communication with your family during this period of time. As this is new to all of us, we ask for your patience and understanding.
- NC VPS, CCP, and SCOL courses will continue. Students need to continue to log in to their LMS.
Students may be feeling anxiety and fear due to the immense attention regarding the Coronavirus in the media and in our homes. There are many great resources for speaking with children about this health crisis. Below is a list of helpful resources:
- CDE: Talking with children about Coronavirus Disease 2019: Message for parents, school, staff, and others working with children: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019- ncov/community/schools-childcare/talking-with-children.html
- Child Mind Institute: Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus (English and Spanish) - https://childmind.org/article/talking-to-kids-about-the-coronavirus/
- National Association of School Psychologist – Talking to Children About COVID-19: A Parent Resource: https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources- and-podcasts/school-climate-safety-and-crisis/health-crisis-resources/talking-to- children-about-covid-19-(coronavirus)-a-parent-resource
- World Health Organization: Helping children cope with stress during the 2019-nCoV outbreak: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/helping-children- cope-with-stress-print.pdf?sfvrsn=f3a063ff_2
Finally, I would like to extend my heartfelt wishes for the health and safety of all of our families during this unprecedented time. We will continue to work during this time and are available to answer any questions and hear any concerns you may have. I will continue to communicate updates as they become available. Please continue to check your email and school and district social media platforms for information.
Our primary goal is to ensure your children are safe and are provided with an appropriate continuity of learning. Our community is strong. Please take care of each other.
Tim Woody, Principal Stanly Academy Learning Center